Saturday, January 2, 2010

Mastering the Art of Boeuf Bourguignon



So I've always been a fan of Julia Child. How can you not when the lady spills food or sets it on fire and brushes it off as if it's a normal thing to have happen? Maybe when that happens to me I should just go put my pearls on, grab a glass of wine and laugh about it (instead of what my normal reaction would be which is get hugely upset about it, cry and pout about it and suggest we should all go eat at Taco Bell instead).

Needless to say, being the owner of 3 copies of Julia's Mastering the art of French Cooking (each one being a gift and I adore all 3 people who gave them to me) and having just watched the movie Julie and Julia, I felt inspired to whip up something sensational. Boeuf a la Bourguignon has always sounded so intimidating to me, but I decided now or never was the time time to conquer it! And it also gave me a reason to "have to" purchase a new le creuset pan, but it was 30% off!

Though start to finish was just under 5 hours, it really wasn't that hard at all. Of course, Julia helps a great deal by listing ingredients to be used immediately next to the instructions for how to use those ingredients. Why more cookbooks don't use this method is WAY beyond my comprehension. It makes so much sense! Yet another reason to love her.

Ok enough rambling. Below are the photos to document this momentous (ha ha) event!


At the beginning: got the book, the pan, the spoon, the apron... Ready, Set, COOK!!!

Action shot. Thank you for that apron Marylee! It was so helpful and I simply love those pockets in it. Very functional too as my kitchen usually stays clean when I cook, but I do not.



Hot out of the oven, YUM! Even put on the pearls to embrace my inner Julia, he he he :)




Close up a la table...



Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

MaryEleanor said...

The meal looks great! I am glad you are enjoying the apron.
Marylee