Thursday, January 24, 2013

Future Photographers

Back in November Steve and I invested in a new camera. I had purely wanted to make the quality of my everyday images better and he had been interested in SLR photography for a while. So we made the plunge! Our interest in photography was shared, but that is where our similarities with photography seem to end.

Steve's Approach: Analytical, Technical, Research, Reading Manuals, Study the technique to get a that certain affect

Christine's Approach: The exact opposite of Steve. Creative, go with the flow, forget the manual just start pressing buttons and taking pictures and see what you get, BrEaK the "rules" of composition just take pictures of what you love, get frustrated because I didn't understand the technical enough to get the effect I wanted (but Lord knows I would NEVER consider reading the manual to help myself out).

So together, we make one amazing photographer I suppose.

Well in an effort to get away from "auto" mode on the camera and use our new camera to its FULL extent, we signed up for photography classes. They have been such fun! We've had 3 classes so far and submitted 2 "homework" assignments.

Steve is a star student. I like to kid him about it because his style of photography lines up with the style of photography our teacher tends to be. Both are very analytical minds and nerd out over the technical nature of Steve's photos.

My pictures are FAR from technically perfect as I tend to be a frustrated photographer.  I have heart and creativity in my pictures, but struggle to slow down to bother with all that technical stuff (which logically I KNOW will help produce better pictures, but it just gets in the way of my free spirit approach).

Anyhow I thought I would share what we've produced so far.

HOMEWORK 1:
Take pictures using the "rules of composition"


Christine's 1st Homework
Grandma Faye playing the piano


Steve's 1st Homework
Berries on a bamboo bush in the backyard



HOMEWORK 2: 
Experiment with Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO

Christine's Photo
Mt. Hood from Pittock Mansion
(too dark. creative, but technically lacking)



Steve's Photo
Daffodils
(he used some technique to make the background black. this picture was taken in the middle of the day in front of a wood burning fireplace.)

So, January has been full of photography so far. We'll just have to wait and see what adventures photography takes us on in 2013!

No comments: